Although less toxic than EG, ingestion of propylene glycol (PG) may be associated with a toxic syndrome similar to the acute phase of EG toxicosis. The oral LD50 of PG in dogs is ~9 mL/kg. In cats, ingestion of a diet containing 6–12% PG can result in Heinz body formation and decreased RBC survival. Treatment of PG toxicosis is largely supportive—the use of alcohol dehydrogenase inhibitors is not indicated. Ingestion of PG may result in false-positive EG test kit results.
Last full review/revision May 2013 by Gregory F. Grauer, DVM, MS, DACVIM