Sulfur and lime-sulfur are two of the oldest insecticides. Elemental sulfur is practically devoid of toxicity, although poisoning has occurred occasionally when large amounts were mixed in cattle feed. Specific toxic dosages are not known but probably exceed 4 g/kg. Lime-sulfur, which is a complex of sulfides, may cause irritation, discomfort, or blistering but rarely causes death. Treatment consists of removing residual material and applying bland protective ointments, plus any supportive measures that may be indicated.
Last full review/revision August 2014 by Ramesh C. Gupta, DVM, MVSc, PhD, DABT, FACT, FACN, FATS