Merck Manual

Please confirm that you are a health care professional

honeypot link

Multiple Cases of Fatal Algal Poisoning Reported in Dogs

08/16/19 By
Merck Veterinary Manual

Cases of fatal algal poisoning in dogs have been reported in several states in recent weeks. Toxins produced by blue-green algae can lead to seizures, skin rashes, liver damage, or respiratory paralysis and can cause death within an hour of exposure. Dogs are more susceptible than people, because they may be more likely to swallow water while swimming or may lick their fur after. The algae can be found in both fresh and salt water.

Read more about recent incidents of algal poisoning in dogs in the New York Times.

More information on the toxicity of blue-green algae can be found in the Merck Veterinary Manual.

Test your knowledge
Emergency Medicine and Critical Care
Colic (abdominal pain) is a common equine emergency. Which of the following is a common procedure that can easily be performed by a veterinarian in the field to aid diagnosis and provide therapy?